What a hit this colour has been for 2017!
This shade of pink is effortless. Millennial pink can be characterised as a dusky shade with the blue hues removed, or a beigey-pink if you prefer. Calming and subtle, this colour is endlessly versatile, and works with a varied palette.
To look at the recent rise of pink, let’s throw back to 2016 when Pantone named Rose Quartz as their colour of the year. This hero status marked the return of Pink. Since then, Pantone called out Pale Dogwood as a colour for 2017. From then on, we can see the rise of “millennial pink”, paving the way for this hue to rise in popularity with a unisex audience in both homewares and in fashion.
Think Sketch, pink gin cocktails and Acne bags. For me personally, this colour = the beautiful Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, the very best hole-in-the-wall I have ever come across – the Sprinkles Cupcake ATM in NYC and of course, cosy bedding!
When it comes to introducing this colour into the home, matte finishes and tactile fabrics including velvet help prevent this colour from being overtly girly. For those not wishing to fully commit to painting walls, it’s easy to inject this contemporary colour with accent pieces including furniture, soft furnishings or decorative accessories. Team with a monochrome or grey scheme to pair back the pink, or harmonise with the warmth of the colour by adding metallic accents.
Remedying some of the damage done by hot pinks in the 90s, this soft yet edgy tone is here to save pink’s reputation, and it seems people just cannot get enough of this colourway. Just scroll through Pinterest and Instagram to see why it has been named millennial pink!
SOME KEY EXAMPLES:
Here are some of my favourite Millennial Pink interior ideas. For more inspiration, and credits, visit my Colour Inspo Pinterest Board.
Here is my edit of the best Millennial Pink homeware products available at the moment…
1. Niki Jones Velvet Linen Blush Cushion – available at Amara
2. Tom Dixon Soft Cushion Pink
3. Tom Dixon Fleck Throw
4. Muuto Ambit Large Pendant Lamp in Rose
5.Oliver Bonas It’s Cool to be Kind Wall Art
6. LSA International Bangle Balloon Glass x2 in Rose
7. Made.com Frame Armchair in Blush with Copper Frame
8. Bloomingville Asta Rose Coffee Table set – available at Amara
9. Normann Copenhagen Circus Pouf in blush
10. Oliver Bonas Pink Table Lamp with Marble Base
11. A by Amara Dixie Glass Votives, set of 4
12. Made.com Lorna Cushion in Blush Velvet
13. A by Amara Ombre Silk Eye Mask – Ivory/Blush
14. Aerin Shagreen Desk Tray in Blush – available at Amara
15. Farrow & Ball paint colour in Pink Ground No. 202
16. iittala Alvar Aalto Collection vase in Salmon pink
17. Made.com Julianne 3 Seater Sofa in Blush velvet
Will you be styling with this hue? Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts, or tag me @thedesignolive over on Instagram.